When Blogadda & Fortune Rice Bran Oil came up with a “healthy & tasty recipe contest”, the first thing that immediately came to my mind- Can we cook our traditional signature Rajasthani khana in rice bran oil. My daughter gave me call and said why not, at least no harm in trying. However, the fine prints in contest said- Signature dish. That made me think and my mind wandered from all dishes from Aloo dum, gatta, Samosa etc. However, I decided to write on one of the signature dishes that Rajasthan boast of (and also considered healthy)- Ker Sangri. To bring a twist I have added a new pancake angle to it and call this recipe- Spicy Ker Sangri Shawarma with Yoghurt Tzatziki. Here’s the recipe-
Spicy Ker Sangri Shawarma with Minty Yogurt Tzatziki
For Ker Sangri Spread
1 bowl Sangri (Dessert Beans); ½ cup Ker (Dessert berries)
(Both washed & soaked for at least 8-9 hrs turmeric water or diluted curd)
Spices: Red Chili powder, Coriander Power, Turmeric, Amchur (dried mango powder), 2 large dried red chili, Asafoetida and Cumin seed/ Carom Seeds and red salt.
Dry fruits: 1 tsp each of seedless raisins and grated Cashews. Cooking Oil: Fortune Rice Bran Oil
For Shawarma wrap
1 cup fine grind split yellow lentil (Mung dal)
½ cup gram flour
Salt & Rice bran oil
For Yoghurt Tzatziki
1 cup natural Yoghurt
2 tsp crushed mint leaves
Salt/ sugar (as desired)
Ker Sangri Spread
- Take the turmeric water soaked ker & Sanger and pressure cook it for 10 mins (around 2-3 whistles).
- Take a pan, heat oil and add carom/ cumin seed, red chili, asafoetida and allow it to splutter
- Add the cooked ker-sanger in pan and mix well
- Add spices like salt, red chili powder, coriander powder, salt, amchur & mix well.
- Add dry fruits, mix well.
- Once your spread is ready, take it off from the stove.
- Mix gram flour and split mung flour with water to make a thick paste. Add salt.
- Heat a flat pan, grease it with oil.
- Spread the paste in a circular or any firm shape of your choice. I spread it in a rectangular to give it an edge.
- Sprinkle little oil at edges to prevent it from sticking
- Turn the spread upside down and allow it to cook till it turns golden yellow.
- Keep the wrap on a flat plate and spread the Ker-Sangri mixture on it leaving the bottom most side untouched (1 inch max).
- Fold the wrap vertically to give a shape of Shawarma or crepe.
- Now the bottom edge that we consciously left empty, fold it and wrap the Shawarma bottom to up in foil (optional)
- Ready to serve. Now repeat the process to make another one.
Minty Yogurt Tzatziki
- Beat the fresh yogurt well, add mint leaves, sugar and blend well. Garnish with 2 mint leaves.
Plating & Serving
Your Spicy Ker Sangri Shawarma with Yogurt Tzatziki is ready to serve.
Take a plate, place the Shawarma on it. If required, you can cut it into three pieces each. Fill Tzatziki in a bowl and place it aside Shawarma on plate. Enjoy the Rajasthani delicacy on your plate with Rice bran oil.
The dish perfectly epitomizes the concept of “eat healthy and eat tasty”.Do share your feedback here. Bon Appetite.