Everyday, every moment our body is attacked by numerous harmful bacteria, virus and germs that have tendency to degenerate and degrade our body. They attack directly at our immune system and make us prone to illness and bad health.
They come in all forms- water, air and soil. Can we escape them? No? But can we safeguard ourselves from them? Yes! Definitely yes!
If the question is how? The answer is by building and strengthening our Immune System.
What is Immunity/ Immune System: Immunity is a body’ natural capacity to defend itself from the attack of harmful microbes and foreign bodies that may cause harmful disease etc.
Immunity v/s Age
Immunity is directly proportionate to toddlers and kids- lower the age and lower the immunity. Whereas for adult, their body is more immune than a child or an aged person’s.
Children & Immunity
Children are the future of India. In their bright, dazzling eyes, the India tomorrow shines. hence it becomes very imperative for the adults and grow up to take full care of children, nurture them towards healthier life and help making strong foundations for their growth and development.
As a mother of three, I was very concerned with the health of my child. What they eat, what they wear, what they drink, cleanliness of their surroundings, how they follow hygiene etc etc..
My children loved hearing stories from me esp before bedtime. I use to often resort to tell them importance of healthy eating and cleanliness via some fairytales and other stories. For eg- My daughter loved Rapunzel’s hair and I told her that she used to keep it clean, eat proper diet like green vegetables, pulses, fruits, milk etc and that’s why they turned so golden, silky and strong. There was Hercules for my sons.
If you are a mother, father or an elderly person, you have a good amount of influence on your kids and you can tell them several ways so that you help build their immunity. Here’s my few tips to expecting parents, mothers, fathers and entire family on how I think we can build a stronger, healthier and more immune India-
Tips for mothers to be- Pregnancy and pre delivery
Remember you have a life in your womb and you are sole responsible for the well being and development of that life. Science says that a lot of child development happens when the child is conceived and is in mother’s womb. To inculcate smooth developments, here’s my two bits-
- Don’t smoke.
- Eat a diet high in fruits, vegetables, and whole grains, and low in saturated fat.
- Exercise regularly.
- Maintain a healthy weight.
- Control your blood pressure.
- Say no to Alcohol
- Get adequate sleep.
- Take steps to avoid infection, such as washing your hands frequently and cooking meats thoroughly.
- Get regular medical screening tests
Tips for mothers for toddlers-
An average toddler may suffer from 8 to 10 colds per year, but experiencing illness helps the immune system to develop in young children. You may not be able to prevent the toddler from falling sick. But what you can still make some lifestyle based decision and choices to improve their immunity to harmful virus and undesirable infections. I would like to retaliate to continue using all the tips I gave as above. In addition-
- Right diet for toddler like Vitamin C, Vitamin E, probiotics, Omega 3 fatty acids etc.
- Breast feed your child
- Keep their vaccination regime up to date
- Adequate sleep for the baby ranging from 12-14 hours per day
- Keep the child away from passive smoke
- Sufficient activity based exercise to sustain metabolism and improve stamina
Tips for mothers, in general
- Healthy diet for child; Avoid too much of Junk food for children
- Get regular medical screening tests for child with special cases
- Exercise and physical activity
- Do not put over stress on children for anything incl competition or scoring high marks or doing what child genuinely doesn’t want to do
- Avoid unnecessary medication all the time. For common cold, help the healing process either Ayurvedic way of natural way. Do not panic for every single sneeze!
- Maintain good hygiene and clean surrounding for your child
- Inculcate good habits like brushing twice a day, washing hands before eating
- One Spoon Chyawanprash everyday
- Lead by example- Education is important aspect of parenting. A complete parenting also means that parents too follow the same habit that they expect their child to.
- Influence using their favorite sportsperson like MS Dhoni, Tendulkar and who ever may fit the frame. Understand your child aspiration and help them build aspiration with positive and healthy living.
You must be wondering that I wrote too much at length. Well parenting is not that easy thing. Afterall you are being responsible for the future of the country, its growth and development. A healthy generation can foster a healthy nation. Kudos to mothers, parents, care takers who help boost a child’ immunity and make them strong to face the world by it’s bull, lock, horn and steeple chase!
This post is written for #ImmuneIndia, a wonderful initiative by Dabur Chywanprash and Indiblogger. To know more about Dabur chyawanprash and it’s contribution and participation in your drive above, visit- www.daburchyawanprash.com
Stay Happy, Healthy and Immune!